Frequently asked questions.

Frequently asked questions2022-03-30T10:39:33+03:00
Who has the right to access collections and services from the Central University Library “Carol I”?2022-02-07T12:02:09+02:00

Within the Headquarters and the branch libraries, all categories of users have access to collections and available services; this is done after registration at the library, based on a valid access permit.

Where is the access permit issued?2022-02-07T11:58:24+02:00

The permit is issued at the Headquarters, for all categories of users, except students, teachers, researchers and PhD students from the University of Bucharest. These categories are issued a permit at the branch library of the faculty in which they come.

Where is the access permit checked?2022-02-07T11:56:46+02:00

The permit is always checked at the issuing library.”

Are there differences between the categories of users in terms of access to collections and services?2022-02-07T11:55:08+02:00

There are no differences between the categories of users, except for the publication loan service, which applies only in the branch libraries, to students, teachers, researchers and doctoral students from the University of Bucharest.

What are the necessary documents for issuing the access permit?2022-02-07T11:45:08+02:00

For the issuance of the permit, the following documents are required:

  • ID card;
  • up-to-date student card / ID or service card;
  • a, ID card type photograph (only for permits valid for 6 months);
  • the fee for issuing and / or endorsing the permit;
  • conducting an orientation tour, only in the Central Unit.

For permits valid from 1 day to 1 month (inclusive) the photo is not required.

Users belonging to certain socio-professional categories must present other documents:

  • PhD students – doctoral student card or proof of doctoral enrollment;
  • High school students – the targeted notebook;
  • The unemployed – unemployment card;
  • Retirees – pension slip;
  • Proof for free users: students with social scholarships, Olympic students, foreign students included in educational programs, etc.

More details Here…

What is the purpose of an orientation tour and what is its maximum duration?2022-02-07T11:34:48+02:00

The orientation tours aim to inform users about the available services, collections and spaces in the Headquarters of the Central University Library “Carol I” in Bucharest, so that they can benefit from all the facilities provided by our institution. The program of orientation tours is coordinated with the program of the Permit Office of the Headquarters. Orienteering tours are each hour and last between 15 and 30 minutes.

Where can the registration fee be paid?2022-02-07T11:31:14+02:00

The registration fee, can be paid in cash, by card or through the platform.

What is the Permit Office’s schedule?2022-02-07T11:29:36+02:00

Monday, Thursday: 8:30-15:30

Tuesday: 8:30-20:00

Wednesday, Friday: 8:30-18:00

Saturday: 8:30-16:00

Sunday: Closed

In order to have access to the collections and services of the branch libraries, located in the faculties of the University of Bucharest, do I need another permit?2022-02-07T11:25:53+02:00

No. The permit issued at the Central Headquarters is valid in all branch libraries and the permits issued in the branch libraries are also valid at the Headquarters.

Are there users who can get free access permits?2022-02-07T11:23:11+02:00

In the Central University Library “Carol I” in Bucharest, students with social scholarships, foreign students included in educational programs and projects (Socrates, Erasmus, etc.), Olympic students, people with disabilities, employees benefit from a free permit, Ministry of Education, retired teachers, librarians and documentarians employed in other libraries and information centers, employees and pensioners of BCU “Carol I” and the National Pedagogical Library “I. C. Petrescu” and the people who made valuable donations to the library can get free access permits.

More details HERE.

If I forgot my permit at home, what can I do?2022-02-07T11:15:25+02:00

Users registered at the library who, for various reasons, do not have a valid access permit with them, can enter the library a maximum of two times, based on an identity document (CI, BI, passport, student card, service card , driving license, etc.) without paying any additional fee.

What happens if I lose my access permit?2022-02-07T11:13:15+02:00

Users who lose or damage access permits will be issued replacements, still valid, until the expiration of the lost or damaged permit, for which they will need to pay a new registration fee, in accordance to the Tariff List.

Can the library catalog be consulted remotely?2022-02-07T11:10:58+02:00

The catalog of the “Carol I” Central University Library in Bucharest is available online through the use of the library’s website.

What does the online catalog of the “Carol I” Central University Library contain?2022-02-07T11:09:06+02:00

The catalog of the “Carol I” Central University Library in Bucharest contains the bibliographic descriptions and partially the reproductions of the title pages and of the contents of the publications in the collections of the Central Headquarters and of the Pedagogical Section “I.C. Petrescu,” as well as the following branch libraries: Administration and Business, Biology (Biology and Botanical Section), Law, Physics, Geography and Geology, History, Letters, Foreign Languages and Literatures (Romance, Classical and Oriental Languages and Literatures Section, Austria Library), Mathematics, Psychology, Sociology, Theology.

Where can I get access to the scientific databases that the library provides?2022-02-07T11:06:35+02:00

The scientific databases to which the library provides access may be accessed at Headquarters and in branch or remote libraries via mobile access.

How can I find out more about the scientific databases available through the “Carol I” Central University Library?2022-02-07T11:01:06+02:00

In order to facilitate access to the scientific databases in its possession, the Central University Library “Carol I” regularly organizes, starting with April 5, 2021, online training sessions, in which anyone can participate.

I have a paper to write and I have no idea where to start. Who can help me?2022-02-07T10:59:17+02:00

Librarians who specialize in providing references can help clarify the topic at hand, offer guidance in choosing sources and assist in the search process. They are located in the Headquarters, Reference Area, in the working points: Access Information, Internet, Online Catalog, Specialized References and in the branch libraries.

Can I request a bibliography on a specific topic? Under what conditions?2022-02-07T10:56:50+02:00

Yes. Users who have a clearly defined study or research topic can contact the specialist librarians in references either directly, at the branch libraries or at the Headquarters, in the Specialized References office, Ground floor area, or online, at: Before receiving a request for a bibliography on request, the user is given or sent online a standard form and is provided with information on the fees charged by BCU “Carol I” for this type of service. If the user agrees with the rates, the librarian initiates the reference interview, through a direct dialogue with the user or online, through successive exchanges of messages, in order to clearly identify his need for information, to formulate the appropriate search strategy, to establish the conditions for writing etc. Upon completion of the bibliography, it will be delivered to the user according to the criteria and conditions established in the reference interview.

Can I make a complex request for information to the library if I do not have access to the library?2022-02-07T10:54:14+02:00

Yes. Anyone can ask the library a question, regardless of its complexity, without having access to the Central University Library “Carol I.” The request can be made by phone (+ 40-21-313 16 05 / extension 284) or e-mail (

I urgently need a chapter from a specific paper, but can’t get to the library. What can I do?2022-02-07T10:51:40+02:00

The Central University Library “Carol I” provides its users, for a fee, the service of providing remote documents, which consists of receiving requests from users, scanning, photocopying or photographing parts of documents in their own collections or downloading documents freely accessible, from the scientific databases to which BCU “Carol I” is subscribed or from other sources, and their transmission to applicants. This service is subject to applicable copyright and related legislation.

How long does it take to resolve a request for information?2022-02-07T10:49:34+02:00

Depending on the complexity of the request, it may take several minutes to a maximum of 7 days to resolve. Answers to specific questions related to: library collections and access to documents or scientific databases, the library program and how to register, the provision of titles of documents, etc., addressed directly or by telephone, take a maximum of 5 minutes. On-demand bibliographies or complex bibliographic searches may take between 3 and 7 days, with the possibility of extending this period, in certain cases.

What does complex bibliographic research mean?2022-02-07T10:47:46+02:00

Complex bibliographic research refers both to standard bibliographies, provided by the Central University Library “Carol I,” as part of the process of searching and retrieving information requested by users, and to extensive research on a distinct subject (a detail from the biography of a personality, an aspect of the history of a company, a locality, etc.), which requires long searches, in several sources of information and involves the provision of the information itself and not (necessarily) the sources in which the search was performed.

Do users have access to Internet services, perform word processing, printing services, images scanning and photocopying services?2022-02-07T10:46:18+02:00

With the exception of photocopying, all other services are available.

What are the accepted user categories for the study of documents belonging to the bibliophile and manuscript collections?2022-02-07T09:16:31+02:00

The categories of users who can consult documents from the bibliophile and manuscript collections are teachers, researchers, doctoral students and students who develop undergraduate papers or make documentaries for some special seminars.

Can manuscripts be scanned or photographed?2022-02-07T09:13:11+02:00

Unpublished literary, artistic or scientific manuscripts, which fall under Law no. 8/1996 on copyright and related rights may not be reproduced through scanning or photographing.

Where can I find bibliophile book and manuscript collections?2022-02-07T08:58:55+02:00

The collections of bibliophile books and manuscripts can be consulted only in the Reading Room no. 3, between 9:30 and 15:30.

How many volumes at a time can be requested in the reading rooms?2022-02-07T08:56:17+02:00

Users have the right to request a maximum of three volumes of non-periodical publications and five volumes of periodicals in storage at the same time, and to retain a maximum of three volumes of directly accessible publications at a time.

How long before the library closes can an application for publications in repositories be submitted?2022-02-07T08:54:58+02:00

The last request for repository publications may be submitted 45 minutes before the end of the program.

Are non-alcoholic beverages and food allowed within the library’s space?2022-02-07T08:53:01+02:00

Non-alcoholic beverages are prohibited inside the library premise, except for bottles of water and food.

Are publications that do not belong to the library’s collections allowed to be introduced into the library?2022-02-07T08:50:49+02:00

Users are allowed to enter the library grounds with publications that do not belong to the BCU “Carol I” collections, provided that they declare them, by filling in a form, in the Information – Access Control Area.

Who can consult documents in the Teachers’ Hall “Al. Tzigara-Samurcaş” from Headquarters?2022-02-07T08:47:23+02:00

User access in the Teachers’ Hall “Al. Tzigara-Samurcaş” from the BCU “Carol I” Headquarters is allowed to teachers, PhD students and researchers only.

Where can I consult the library’s magazine collection?2022-02-07T08:44:32+02:00

Magazine reading is allowed in all reading rooms.

Where can I consult the library’s newspaper collection?2022-02-07T08:43:22+02:00

Consultation of newspapers is allowed only in Reading Room no. 3.

What are the requirements for renting a private study office?2022-02-07T08:40:55+02:00

A private study room can be rented consecutively for a maximum of 60 days. If no such rooms are available, users are registered on a waiting list and are notified by phone or e-mail when they are. People who have already rented a private study cabinet can only be placed on the waiting list at the end of the period of use. The use of a study cabinet by two or more persons is prohibited.

Does the library offer WI-FI access in the reading rooms?2022-02-07T08:37:53+02:00

All reading rooms have a WI-FI connection, free of a login password.

How long does it take until I receive the requested publications in the reading room?2022-02-07T08:34:00+02:00

The average waiting time can be up to 15 minutes.

How does one request for publications to be read in reading rooms?2022-02-07T08:20:05+02:00

Publications in repositories are requested by completing an application form that is handed to the librarian in the reading room. In order to consult the publications displayed on the shelves, the user needs to identify the publications he needs and then can choose a maximum of 3 volumes at a time.

Do users have the obligation to consult the publications displayed on the free shelf in the reading rooms only in the room where they are displayed?2022-02-07T08:15:11+02:00

It is recommended that directly accessed publications be consulted in the room where they are displayed, but they can be consulted in any reading room after completing an application form which is handed to the librarian; Exceptions are the periodicals of the last 8 years, which can be consulted only in the reading room no. 3 – “G. Dem Teodorescu.”

In which reading room of the Headquarters are the periodicals consulted?2022-02-07T08:12:29+02:00

The periodicals of the last 8 years and those of newspaper type are consulted only in the reading room no. 3 – “G. Dem Teodorescu,” while the rest can be consulted in any of the reading rooms.

Can the publications in the collections of the branch libraries be consulted at Headquarters?2022-02-04T13:18:30+02:00

Publications in the collections of a branch library may be consulted only in the reading room of that branch library.

Can the publications in the Headquarters collections be consulted in the branch libraries?2022-02-04T13:17:54+02:00

The publications in the Headquarters’ collections may be consulted only in one of the reading rooms in the Headquarters.

Can I put personal books in the library?2022-02-04T13:16:40+02:00

Yes, but only after completing a form in the Information – Access Control Area, which is handed to the librarian in the reading room.

Can I enter the library with my personal laptop?2022-02-04T13:15:51+02:00

Yes, the library allows personal laptop access to all reading rooms.

Can I photograph documents from the library’s collections with my personal camera?2022-02-04T13:00:58+02:00

Digital reproduction with the user’s personal device is permitted for all publications in the collections of the BCU “Carol I”, except for bibliophile publications, which can be done only with the approval and under the supervision of a staff member in the reading room.

Is it possible to scan documents?2022-02-04T13:00:03+02:00

Users can request scans of certain pages from the publications in the library’s collections in the “Petre Badea” Reading Room, up to a maximum of 20 pages, according to existing rates.

What other copying services are available in the library besides scanning?2022-02-04T12:56:14+02:00

Users can benefit from digital reproductions of some requested pages or page ranges, made by the custodians of reading room number 3 – G. Dem. Teodorescu with the digital apparatus of the library.

Can I use my own external storage device on laptops or reading room computers?2022-02-04T12:54:47+02:00

Users can use their own external storage devices only after they have been checked by the reading room staff.

Can I download an application or program to my library computer?2022-02-04T12:52:18+02:00

Users are not allowed to download or install programs or applications on library computers.

If a publication is not found in the BCU “Carol I” collections, can I have access to its contents?2022-02-04T12:50:48+02:00

Yes, publications can be requested through the interlibrary loan service, and can be consulted in the reading rooms of Headquarters. Publications that are in the collections of libraries in Bucharest cannot be requested by interlibrary loan.

Is the interlibrary loan service free of cost, or done in exchange for a fee?2022-02-04T12:49:26+02:00

The interlibrary loan service is done in exchange for a fee.

How much does a national interlibrary loan cost?2022-02-04T12:44:03+02:00

The cost of a publication made available through the national loan service is established according to the fees charged by the Romanian Post Company. If the provider library charges other fees for this service, they will be communicated to the user before the loan is made.

How much does an international interlibrary loan cost?2022-02-04T12:42:36+02:00

The cost of a publication sent through the international loan service is given by the fees charged by the Romanian Post Company, along with the added loan fees.

Can periodicals be requested through the interlibrary loan service?2022-02-04T12:40:49+02:00

Periodicals may not be borrowed, but supplying libraries in the country or abroad may send copies of the requested articles.

Can any publication be borrowed through the interlibrary loan service?2022-02-04T12:38:00+02:00

Provider libraries, both from within the country and abroad, reserve the right to establish publications that can be borrowed from their personal collections.

Are interlibrary loans eligible to be borrowed at home?2022-02-04T12:28:41+02:00

Publications made available through the interlibrary loan service are not subject to home loan. They may be consulted only in one of the reading rooms of the Headquarters.

What is the time to consult publications obtained by interlibrary loan?2022-02-04T12:22:45+02:00

The lending library determines the loan period. Based on previous loans, the average time spent consulting documents obtained through the interlibrary loan service is two weeks

How can I borrow books from the Central University Library “Carol I” in Bucharest?2022-02-04T12:59:35+02:00

Publications can be borrowed at home in the Central Unit, through the Pedagogical Section “I.C. Petrescu” and in the branch libraries, under the conditions of the Regulation of organization and functioning of the Central University Library “Carol I”.

In need of more information?

We are ready to answer your questions, contact us!