The library of the Faculty of Mathematics dates back to 1890 as a specialized library, being the first public library of mathematics books and magazines in the country, with an initial collection of approximately 200 volumes from the donation of Prof. Dimitrie Petrescu. She is the successor of the library of the Mathematics Department and of the laboratories of the former Faculty of Sciences in Bucharest.
In 1925 it was decided to make the library available to students. In 1937 the library of the Mathematical Society was included in the faculty library, enriching the collections of journals (over 70 titles) from the exchange with the “Bulletin of the Mathematical Society”. Under the leadership of Gheorghe Vrânceanu, appointed director of the Library of Mathematics on November 1, 1939, the library is enriched with valuable publications obtained through international exchange and donations from David Emmanuel, Anton Davidoglu, Tullio Levi-Civita, Constantin Gogu, Preduta Bungetianu.
With a total fund of 88656 volumes at the end of 2021, our library provides users with two reading rooms with direct access to books (6,109 volumes; 60 seats), in which the documents are grouped by fields (mathematics, computer science, mechanics, astronomy ) and a reading room for serial publications (with 23 seats). The computerized loan center (17049 volumes) provides loans for publications and offers the possibility of reserving them for students and teachers of the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics. The library holds valuable holdings of documents in the basic fields of mathematics, mechanics, astronomy, and computer science: Mathematical Logic, Set Theory, Linear Algebra, Group Theory, Mathematical Analysis, Real Functions, Operator Theory, Geometry, Topology, Theoretical Computer Science, Programming Languages , Probability Theory, Statistics, Theoretical Mechanics, Theory of Relativity, Fractals, Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology, Celestial Mechanics.
The library is in possession of a valuable bibliophile book collection (1744 – 1900), in Romanian, French, German, Latin. Here are some titles:
– HEDERICH, Benjamin. Der Jugend aus Schulen matematische Ueben. Wittenberg und Zerbst: Verlegts Somuel Gottfried Zimessnaun, 1752.
– HORVATH, Joanne. Elementa matheseos, philosophiae, auditorium usibus. Vol. I – II .Tyrnavie: Typis Colegii Academici Soc. Jesu, 1772, 1773.
– MARTONFI, Antonius. Începuturile astronomice. Trad. de Nicodim Lăcusteanu. Alba Casolina (Alba Iulia): Tipografia Episcopală, 1798.
The periodical fund holds Romanian and foreign serial publications constituted in complete collections as:
– Journal für die Reine und Angewandte Mathematik, Berlin, (1826 – );
– Journal de Mathématiques Pures et Appliquées, Paris, (1836 – );
– Acta Mathematica, Stockholm, (1882 – );
– Gazeta Matematică, Bucureşti, (1895 – );
– The Astrophysical Journal, Chicago, (1896 – );
– Mathematical Reviews, New York, (1940 – ).
The library also has an important fund of doctoral theses in Romanian, English, French, German and Spanish, of which we mention:
– DARBOUX, Gaston. Sur les surfaces ortogonales. Propositions de méchanique et d’astronomie. 1866.
– BARBILIAN, Dan. Reprezentarea canonică a adunării ipereliptice. 1929.
– MIHOC, Gh. Asupra proprietăţilor generale ale variabilelor statistice interdependente. 1934.